Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Insurance
Well everyone this is the great story of my life so far. I lost my insurance thru Nordstrom thanks to the great economy and the bull shi* of a retail life style. The best part is that because i am employed i get NO help for the goverment even thought i have been paying taxes since i started my first job at the age of 14. Looking at my options right now my best one is to quit my job i worked for a year and a half to get so i can have some assistants. I have cried non stop because i feel like a failure when i thought i was doing everything right. I am of course trying to put my babys health in the number one spot but when five to six hundred dollar bills are coming your way and you were supposed to be covered is alot of money to just come up with. i don't know what i am going to do. what is there left to do... quit of pay out of pocket for everything. What a choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
you could live in canada (who has nationwide "healthcare") and wiat six months in line to be treated? i'm so sorry about your frustrations. i think there's much to be said for providing for yourself, tho, instead of having the government do it for you. i've been on medicaid before...it's degrading. were you short hours at work, or did they cut insurance for everyone? i thought cosmetics was separate from nordstrom?
I don't know if you have yet, but Brady and his ex were on Baby your Baby or something like that that definitely helped with the doctor bills! I know there is an income restriction, but it's worth looking into. Coming from no insurance myself, trust me, it's worth it to do what it takes to get it. We're still paying on Brady's emergency Appendix surgery-$26,000!
i'm so sorry to hear that! it's awful news at an already stressing situation in your life. you want what's best for you baby but you also need money to eat and have a room over your head :) i agree with ashlee about "Baby Your Baby" and i've also heard about Aflac having a secondary insurance thing for pregnancy but i don't know if you have to apply before you get pregnant or not...worth it also to check into. hope it all works out and that you don't have to leave!
I am so sorry to hear that...baby your baby/WIC might be an option but does have income restrictions. I used it for a little bit when I was laid off and pregnant!!
Sorry Jamie! It is frustrating. I have had a 5,000 deductible with insurance for all my kids and it is a lot to pay. I know when we went to Orem community hospital with Olivia they had something called stork savers for 2,000. Of course I didn't get an epidural so that saved me $1500. Then I paid my doctor bills and it ended up only being 4,000. But then again that was 8 yrs. ago. Ella was about 6,000 2 yrs. ago WITH insurance! Well they are worth it! Good luck sweetie...I know it will work out for you. Sorry for the rambling:)
Howdy (I'm Jon's cousin, and it's rare that I comment, but I do pop over here occasionally).
I'm sorry. We couldn't afford insurance when our first son was born (he's three now) either. We had the same situation-- either my husband quit his job, or we went out-of-pocket. We wound up paying for it ourselves. There are a couple things you can do to help with the bills.
We delivered at Timp Regional (so I don't know if a lot of these will work if you decide to deliver at UVRMC). I really liked it, and if memory serves, it's slightly cheaper than UVRMC. Food's not as good though:). They also have uninsured discounts-- I think it worked out to something like $2,000. Also, they charge for hospitalizations per 24 hours AFTER the baby is born, so if you can get yourself out before then (I think we did 23 and a half hours or something ridiculous like that:) ), that'll save you a few grand too. Also, TAKE YOUR OWN MEDICINE. They charge you out the nose for things that you can buy at Rite Aid, so when you get there, tell your nurse that you have:
Ibuprofen (a prescription dose is about 800 mg, I think, so you take 4 regular pills instead of two)
Colace
Tucks Pads
Dermaplast
A donut to sit on
already with you. I think all of those at Rite Aid will cost you under 50 or 60 bucks, but if you wait for the hospital to give it to you, they'll cost a few hundred. And unless you need something stronger, that's what they usually give you.
Have your pediatrician already picked out. Ours offered uninsured discounts (we went to Utah Valley Pediatrics), and if you already have them lined up, I THINK you can get the uninsured discount on the baby's hospital check.
Last thing (I know you didn't ask for a novella:) ): Tell EVERYONE taking care of you and the baby that you are uninsured (nurses, doctors, audiologists... even tell the hospital admitting staff, and ask them to talk to the billing department for you). Most of this is stuff that my nurses told us. Lots of places will offer discounts, but they don't advertise it. You have to tell them.
May the force be with you!
Post a Comment